Stay Puft

Stay Puft
Stay Puft has his game face on!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

20 Rep Squats

20 rep squats are really, really hard.  I've been slowly and steadily increasing my weight for these, starting at 135lbs a little over a month ago, and hitting 175lbs on Sunday.  My eventual goal is to get to 225 for 20 reps.  While not far-fetched, I don't think I'm going to be hitting this any time soon.  I think it's going to take a few months before I can even attempt such a feat.  

Just doing 175lbs was a grueling effort.  Afterwards, I was so worn out that I couldn't really do anything else.  I tried seated military press (because I couldn't do shoulders on Friday), and did manage to do 3 sets.  But I was exhausted.  Went home, and had to lay down for a few minutes before eating anything.

Today, my legs are a train wreck.  All sorts of crazy sore, on every aspect of my legs.  Quads, hammies, glutes, hips.  I'm happy I hit 175, but I'm thinking next time I'm only going up to 180.  Keep trying 5 pound increases until I can get to 200 lbs.  

Here are the sets:

1/29/12 - Sunday
Squats - 1 set
135x8 (warmup)
135x5 (warmup)
175x20

Seated Military Press - 3 sets
95x5 (warmup)
105x5
115x4
115x4

For shoulders, no pain in my back because I was sitting.  Again, I made sure to bring the weight to my chest before raising it up again.  I could tell I was beat up from the squats.  I probably waited 10 minutes before even trying the press.

Next training session is set for Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment