Stay Puft

Stay Puft
Stay Puft has his game face on!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Slowly upping the weight on Bench, upping my form on Press

Saturday was a standard "Bench and Shoulders" day at the gym.  I started out with bench, and did ascending triples until I got up to 185.   I definitely left some in the tank for these.  Maybe next week I'll do ascending quadruples or something stupid.  I want to get more reps at the higher weights, so that when I finally move back up to 195 again, I'll be able to get more than 3 or 4 reps maximum.  I'm taking my time, because I really want to break the 200 barrier.

Shoulders were a whole nother ball game.  I did the seated military barbell press again, but I tried something a little different.  Normally when I press, I bring the weight down to about my lips, and press it back up.  I realized that if I bring that weight down to my chest, I'll gain a whole 4 inches of range to my press.  It would involve more musculature, and do more for me.  Kind of getting more bang for my buck. I had to lower the weight slightly, but I think in a month I'll be back where I want to be.  With more muscle.

1/21/12 - Saturday
Bench Press - 4 sets
95x8 (warmup)
135x6 (warmup)
165x3
175x3
185x3
155x9

Military Press - 3 sets
45x8 (warmup)
95x5 (warmup)
115x4
105x5
105x5

Tricep Rope Cables - 3 sets
110x8
110x7
110x7

Couldn't go to the gym yesterday, I worked too late to get there.  Tonight I'm going no matter what.  It's deadlift time.

No comments:

Post a Comment