Stay Puft

Stay Puft
Stay Puft has his game face on!

Monday, January 30, 2012

Back Problems when Pressing

As the title suggests, my session on Friday involved some pain in my back.  It was a chest/shoulders day, and everything started well.  I made progress on bench press, getting 2 sets of 5 reps at 185.  I was feeling great, pumped up and ready to hit shoulders.  I should have stayed with the military press.  Instead, I stood up in the squat rack and did clean and press together.

Warm ups were okay, but during my first set I felt some sharp, shooting pains in the middle of my back.  Not lower back, but a little under my shoulder blades.  I took a few minutes rest, and tried to do a 2nd set.  No good dood.  First rep I felt the same pain, just worse.  I obviously stopped pressing, did a few cable and skull crusher sets for triceps, and then headed home.

It was a disappointing finish to great start of my training session.  Here are my sets.

P.S.  -  Just a note for myself, that my forearms were still crazy sore from my deadlifting session on Tuesday.

1/27/12 - Friday
Bench Press - 3 sets
95x8 (warmup)
135x6 (warmup)
185x5
185x5
175x6

Clean and Press - 2 sets
95x5 (warmup)
115x4
115x1 (back pains, stopped)

Skull Crushers - 2 sets
70x8
70x8

Rope Cable Pull Down - 2 sets
120x4 (too heavy)
110x8

I'm pleased with my progress on bench.  After Friday's session, I know I have 200 pounds in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment