Stay Puft

Stay Puft
Stay Puft has his game face on!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Moving Forward with Deadlifts

You may remember that last week I backed off on deadlifts a bit.  I've read so many opinions on weight training, that I can't even tell if my lighter workout was me being lazy, or a smart approach to the lift.  Either way, I backed off and lightened the load last week, for better or for worse.  

This week, I increased the poundage back up to 315, but only stayed there for 1 set.  As usual, I felt like my back was able to handle the weight, but my grip was slipping.  I managed 4 reps.  On the 5th, I tried to switch my grip, but it was almost as if switching the grip disrupted my focus.  I ended up not even trying the 5th rep.

I'm positive my back can handle higher weights.  I don't want to use straps or anything.  I wonder if it's worth it for me to stay at 315 until my hands can realistically handle it before increasing the weight to 325.  It probably is.

Here are my sets.

1/25/12 - Tuesday
Deadlifts - 3 sets
135x8 (warmup)
225x5 (warmup)
265x3 (warmup)
315x4
295x5
275x6

Shrug Machine - 4 sets
180x10
230x8
270x8
180x10

Bicep Preacher Curls, straight barbell - 2 sets
80x4
70x8

The shrug machine was the only thing available at the time for me to shrug.  The gym is still packed with most of the new years resolution crowd, and there wasn't any room anywhere.  I also realized curling with the straight bar is much harder than using the bent bar.  And finally, my forearms and even wrists feel incredibly sore today.

No comments:

Post a Comment