Stay Puft

Stay Puft
Stay Puft has his game face on!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Injuries Abound!

I went to the gym yesterday to bench... no good.  Not my shoulder even.  Evidently from swinging a softball bat 50+ times on Saturday screwed up my left wrist.  I didn't even feel the injury until I got under the bar and began to warm up.  10 reps at 95lbs hurt, but I was able to do it.  I couldn't even do 1 rep at 135.

So I figure I'll just do some chinups and rows.  Pulling shouldn't hurt my wrist, right?  Wrong.  I did 3 reps of bodyweight chinups, and my wrist was in pain.  Switched to pullups.  Wrist didn't really hurt, but my SHOULDER did!  I haven't done pullups in so long, I didn't realize the effect my shoulder injury would have on them.

So, I made the decision to walk out of the gym.  Instead of walking home, I went to the schoolyard around the corner from my house and did 10 short sprints.  They were probably about 7-8 seconds long each.  Nothing crazy, but I felt good afterwards.  At least I accomplished something.

But...weird thing.  As I was running, I was "pumping" my arms.  You know, the natural shit you do with your arms when you run?  Evidently I was pumping too hard, or maybe I just haven't sprinted in so long I wasn't used to it.  On my 9th sprint, I felt pain in my elbow.  Fucking ridiculous.  I did the 10th sprint and then walked home, practically clutching my elbow.  It really hurt!  At this point I'm pissed.  I feel like I'm the black knight from Monty Python.

Tis but a scratch!

Walked home, took a shower, and immediately iced it.  And iced my shoulder at the same time.  Kind of weird trying to keep 2 ice bags on my right shoulder and right elbow at the same time.  Kept em on there for 20 minutes.  In the morning, the elbow felt much better, but still a little tender.  I think I'm just gonna stay out of the gym for now, and once my legs are feeling alright I'll just do some squats.  Hopefully nothing else gets injured in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment