Stay Puft

Stay Puft
Stay Puft has his game face on!

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Doctor Visit and a trip to the gym

The visit with the orthopedic surgeon went about how I expected.

Doctor: "What brings you here today?"
Me: It's my shoulder.  I feel intense pain during specific motions, like throwing.
Doctor: Okay, lets take a look.

Proceeds to move my arm in different positions to test mobility and what exactly causes the pain.


Doctor:  It seems like you have asdfjsdkl blah blah happening.  (Something about a bone in my shoulder pushing forward out of place as I move my arm forward, causing tension and pinching on one of my tendons)
Me:  Okay, what can we do to fix this?
Doctor: Get an MRI to be sure, then we can decide if you need physical therapy or something else.

Writes and hands me a script to get an MRI.


Me: Thanks, Doc.

In and out in 5 minutes.  But at least it confirmed that there's something wrong.  I need to get this MRI and I have an appointment back with him in 2 weeks.  THEN I'll begin physical therapy.  In the meantime, this Sunday I get to throw like a girl during my softball games.  I can't wait.  He also said to discontinue whatever act I'm doing that's aggravating it.  (aka don't play softball, and don't do military press at the gym)

After the appointment, I did indeed go to the gym.  No military press, but I did do some rows, shrugs and weighted chinups.  Here are the sets.

4/18/12 - Wednesday
Cable Rows (close grip) - 4 sets
90x10 (warmup)
120x8 (warmup)
165x6
180x6
180x6
180x6

Shrug Machine - 4-5 sets
90x10 (warmup)
180x10
270x8
270x8
270x10
180x10

Weighted Chins - 3 weak sets
25x5
25x3
25x3

Weird afternoon at the gym.  I left work early for the doctor's appointment, so when I got home and went to the gym, it was earlier than usual, around 5:30.  The place was ridiculously packed.  More packed than I have ever seen it.  Usually I get there at 6:30 or later, and I guess it usually thins out a little by that time.  Both squat racks, every free weight bench, and half of the machines were taken.  I literally had to wait a minute before even getting onto the cable row on the universal.  After shrugs, I couldn't even find a place to do chinups, so I actually went home and used my pullup bar there.  My wife got me a weight belt for Christmas so I've been using it sporadically.  Even still, I didn't do a great job with the chins.  I was all sorts of tired.

As for softball this weekend, I'm gonna try and throw sidearm.  It hurts other parts of my shoulder, but doesn't really aggravate the tendon that's hurting me now.  I won't have any power behind my throw, but it should get the job done.  It's that, or play 1st base.  I don't trust myself to dig balls out of the dirt, so I think outfield it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment