Stay Puft

Stay Puft
Stay Puft has his game face on!

Monday, February 27, 2012

PR in Bench and 1 Hand Rows!

Sunday was a good day for training.  I had plenty of rest, woke up around 8:30 and fasted until around noon, when my wife and I headed to the gym.

Working out fasted is interesting.  I don't feel fatigue or anything, and I don't get tired quicker like you'd think.  I have the same energy levels (sometimes more) and I'm even usually more enthusiastic about being at the gym and training.  The problem is that despite this, I'm still usually a tiny bit weaker when I'm fasted.  Nothing crazy, but I'll get under the bar and expect to do 4-5 reps, and only get 3-4.  I'm just a litttttttttle bit below what I'd expect.  I don't know if this what other people go through, but it makes me wary of training fasted when I'm going for PR's.

Fortunately, I just didn't give a damn on Sunday.  Warmed up on bench, and felt great.  Put 200 on the bar, and easily drilled out 3 reps.  I could have gotten 4.  I followed with 2 more sets, each for 3 reps.  I still had plenty left in the tank.  Headed over to the dumbells and nailed 105x4, for 2 sets.  And then dropped it to 100 for 5.

Both were PR's, and both felt fantastic.  Here are the sets:

2/26/12 - Sunday
Bench Press - 3 sets
95x8 (warmup)
135x8 (warmup)
200x3 PR
200x3
200x3

1 Hand Dumbbell Rows - 3 sets
65x8 (warmup)
105x4 PR
105x4
100x5

Cable Rope Pulldowns - 3 sets
80x8 (warmup)
110x8
120x7
120x6

All in all, I'm very very happy.  The 1 hand rows are not a PR in weight, but in reps.  I've gotten like 1.5-2 reps at that weight before, but never 4 solid "good" reps.  And definitely not 2 sets in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment