Stay Puft

Stay Puft
Stay Puft has his game face on!

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Squats, the Turkish Get Up, and Good Food

Ok big update!  Squatted last week on I think Saturday.  Didn't do too bad, but my left knee is still really bothering me.  It hurts when I go down, but only during warm ups.  Once it's warm, I'm fine.  Anyway, here are the sets.

Saturday - 2/16/13
Squats - 4 sets
135x8
185x5
245x5
245x5
235x5
235x5

Weighted Chinups - 5 sets
25x7
25x5
25x6
25x5
25x5

Yea, I kind of punked out on the chinups.  I'll admit I was exhausted before we even started.

Then on Sunday, I tried something new to me - the turkish get up.   My buddy James has been doing them for a while and he spent a few minutes showing me the motions.  I could try and describe it to you, but instead, check out the video.  A lot easier than me giving a shitty explanation.



I started with light weight, did a few reps on each side.  And then I just dropped the weight completely.  Not only was it hard just getting up, but keeping decent form was tough too.  Did 3 sets of 5 reps on each side.

Afterwards, we fucked around with some kettlebells, doing some swings and some snatches.  Nothing crazy, but enough to just kind of get me introduced to working with them.  Honestly, I haven't done much with kettlebells ever.

Next, we did a "sprint" workout using ropes, tabata style.  20 seconds of swinging the ropes furiously, then 20 seconds of rest.  Rinse and repeat for 6 sets.

And finally, a simple 100 consecutive jump ropes to finish off the day.

All in all, not my usual type of workout, but it worked.  I really like the get up, and I have no problem mixing in a day with kettlebells and some miscellaneous stuff to round things out.

Then, Sunday evening, my wife and I made a fantastic dinner.  We cooked some chicken wings in italian dressing, broiling them in the oven for an hour.  For sides, my wife blanched some brussel sprouts, then cut them in half and sauteed them in a pan with garlic and oil.  I also sliced a sweet potato into thin medallions, and sauteed those in a pan with a lot of butter and cinnamon.  Near the end, I added some heavy cream and 2 teaspoons of brown sugar.  Popped a cover on it, lowered the heat, and let it cook for another 10-15 minutes.

Overall, the whole thing was one of the best meals I've had in recent memory.




No comments:

Post a Comment