Stay Puft

Stay Puft
Stay Puft has his game face on!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Deadlifts and quasi-pain

Ahh... pain.  I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but I've been feeling pain lately in my lower back, upper right buttocks area.  Not soreness, or muscle pain.  It's more like sharp, occasional shooting pains that probably have something to do with a nerve in there.  I "feel it" when deadlifting or last week when I did RDL's.  It doesn't particularly hurt, but I "feel it."  Same when I'm doing squats and rows too.

I'm only mentioning it because I've been feeling it for a few weeks now, and it hasn't gone away.  I felt it during my last deadlift session earlier this month too.  I also feel sharp, shooting pain sometimes randomly when walking if I step funny, or if I'm bending down or shifting weight from foot to foot.  In other words, somewhat random.  Not crazy pain, just short and a little sharp.

Now that THAT's out of the way, onto my hamstrings.  I did RDL's on Tuesday last week, and my hammies were sore for over a week afterwards.  This means, going into Sunday's softball game, my hamstrings were still sore.  I was OK, and able to sprint with no problem.  But, Monday through even still today, my hamstrings are still sore.  I went into this deadlift session last night expecting to have some problems.  Either I wouldn't be able to deadlift at all, or I'd be really weak.

I had problems alright.  But not with my hamstrings, and not with the silly pains in my right ass-cheek.  My GRIP was failing.  Repeatedly.  Talk about frustration.  My back was loving 295 and wanted me to go to 305, but my hands and wrists were just dying.  I was practically dropping the 4th reps of every set, including the last one where I took 20lbs off.

The only reason I can think of is maybe because I've been doing random bodyweight chinups throughout the week... but I do this often, it shouldn't have any real impact.  I don't know, but it was a little frustrating.

5/23/12 - Wednesday
Deadlifts - 3 sets
135x8 (warmup)
225x5 (warmup)
295x4
295x4
275x4

Upright Rows - 4 sets
45x8 (warmup)
65x8
85x7
85x7
65x8

Barbell Bicep Curls - 3 sets
45x8 (warmup)
75x8
85x6
65x8

Deadlifts, while my hands were failling, I felt much better on form.  Despite hammies being sore, I was still using them correctly in the lift, instead of my quads.  I usually tend to use my quads to almost squat the weight up, instead of using hamstring tension to pull it up.  I used hamstrings much more yesterday.

Upright rows, the weight may be a little light, but my reps are more "complete" and I feel like I'm getting the most bang for my buck if I keep the weight lighter.

And finally, I was the jerk curling in the squat rack.  I've officially done it twice now in the past few months.  At this point, my hands and forearms felt like shit.  I'm glad I pushed it up to 85 for a few reps though.

If I don't post before then, enjoy your Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment